These Blackened Tofu Tacos are reminiscent of your favorite fish tacos. I remember a phase that my mom and I went through where we ordered fish tacos at just about every restaurant that offered them. I always preferred the ones that had a crisp coating on the fish paired with a zesty, creamy slaw so I decided to whip up my own vegan version!
I tried a couple different versions of tofu for this recipe. And if I’m being honest, the first batch went straight into the trash. I tried a corn starch only coating and it turned into a gummy mess. The version that ended up working is the one in this recipe (obviously). The tofu is drained and quickly pressed to get rid of excess water. It is cut into ¼ inch slices. To create the breading on the tofu, each piece is dredged in cornstarch, dipped into a non-dairy milk and lemon juice combination, then evenly coated in a blackened seasoned panko bread crumbs. The prepared tofu is then placed into an oiled non-stick pan and pan fried until golden brown.
To complete the Blackened Tofu Tacos, you need the zesty slaw and all the toppings. The slaw is a super simple combination of cabbage, vegan mayo, lime juice, salt, and cilantro. I love adding avocado onto these for a creamy element but add whatever toppings you’d like! Fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice are a must though. Enjoy!
Blackened Tofu TacosCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
½ head of red cabbage, shredded
2 tablespoons vegan mayo
1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Blackened Tofu:
14 oz. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed between a towel to absorb excess water
½ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons blackened seasoning (homemade or store bought)
½ cup oat milk or other non-dairy milk
½ lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons grape seed oil
10 corn tortillas
Pickled red onion
- Toss shredded cabbage with the rest of the slaw ingredients and set aside.
- Drain tofu and press between paper towels or a dish towel for a few minutes to absorb excess liquid. Cut into ¼ inch slices.
- In a wide based bowl or plate, place your flour. In another, combine non-dairy milk and lemon juice. In a third bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs with the blackened seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan.
- One at a time, dredge each piece in flour, dip fully in milk mixture, and evenly coat in panko bread crumbs.
- Place into the heated pan and cook evenly for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Remove from heat onto a large plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat tortillas in a small pan over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side until warm.
- Assemble taco by piling blackened tofu, cabbage slaw, and all desired toppings into a tortilla. Enjoy!