Tofu is a blank canvas waiting to take on any flavor you want to throw at it. Like a sponge, it will absorb any flavor you allow it to, and this Crispy Marinated Tofu takes total advantage of that! It’s marinated in a simple Asian-inspired marinade for at least 30 minutes to pack it with flavor and then it’s pan fried to a perfect golden brown.
To best take advantage of tofu’s absorption power, it needs to be well drained and all the excess liquid removed so it can soak up flavor. To do that, you need to drain off the liquid it’s packaged in and then wrap the block of tofu in a towel or paper towels and place a heavy item on it, such as a large cast iron (will be handy later) or a stack of books. After about 15 minutes, most of the excess liquid will be soaked up by the towel. Then it’s marinating time! Cut the tofu into small cubes, combine the marinade ingredients, and toss together. Now let it hang out for at least 30 minutes (more if you have time to spare).
To fry, heat avocado oil or another high heat oil in a cast iron or non-stick pan. When the oil is shimmering, add the tofu and cook each side until golden brown. After it’s all gold and crispy, add the remaining marinade into the pan and simmer for a couple minutes to give it even more flavor. Serve this Crispy Marinated Tofu immediately in a grain bowl, fried rice, or alongside your favorite vegetables!
Crispy Marinated TofuCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
16 oz. extra firm tofu
½ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ cup avocado oil or other high heat oil
- Drain tofu then press excess liquid out by wrapping in a towel or paper towels and placing a heavy object on top of it such as a cast iron pan or stack of books. Allow to press for about 15 minutes.
- Combine all marinade ingredients – soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and ground ginger.
- Cut tofu into ½ inch cubes and add to marinade, tossing gently.
- Allow to marinate for 30-60 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Heat avocado oil in a large cast iron (we love our enamel coated Staub skillet) or large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add tofu and cook each side for about 1 minute or until golden brown. Use tongs to turn cubes of tofu over, allowing each side to become crispy golden brown.
- Once all sides are browned, add remaining marinade into pan, and turn down heat to low to allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove tofu from pan. Serve immediately.
- You can definitely eat this tofu as leftovers but it will lose some of it’s crispiness.
- I love making a batch of this alongside some roasted vegetables and rice for an easy, healthy dinner!
Leave a Reply