This Vegan Chocolate Cake for Two is special enough to make for Valentine’s day but simple enough to make on a Tuesday night. It started out as a mug cake a couple years ago right around the time when I moved to Austin and was eating one a night to cope with the feelings of relocating and working in healthcare during the beginning of the pandemic. It has since evolved into an absolutely delicious cake with much happier memories. It’s simple, quick, and irresistible. In fact, Ryan has refused to learn how to make it because he’s afraid that he won’t have the self-control after he knows how easy it is to whip up. “With great power, comes great responsibility…”.
Although the original microwave mug cake version of this was delicious, there is still something missing from a cake that’s cooked in the microwave vs. the oven. I wanted to come up with something even better that was still a small batch and just as easy so that you could whip it up any night of the week!
This Vegan Chocolate Cake for Two calls for pantry staples and no unusual ingredients that you wouldn’t typically have on hand. For the cake to rise, baking soda and apple cider vinegar is used. I know that it may be tempting to skip the vinegar in this recipe because it’s a cake, but please don’t! It’s so important for the cake to rise to give it that cake texture and you won’t taste it at all – I promise. The result is a delicious, rich cake with a soft decadent center.
Vegan Chocolate Cake for TwoCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
A vegan chocolate cake for two recipe that is special enough for any occasion, but simple enough for anytime!
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons melted vegan butter (can sub for neutral oil)
6 tablespoons of non-dairy milk (I prefer oat milk)
1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
Splash vanilla extract
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (don’t skip this! I know it seems odd but it helps the cake rise and I promise you don’t taste it at all!)
4 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips (more for topping if desired)
Any desired toppings – ice cream, whipped cream, nut butter, fruit, etc.
- Preheat oven 375.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together. Stir to combine.
- If using the espresso powder, warm the non-dairy milk in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. Add espresso powder and stir to dissolve. Add melted butter, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) and stir to combine. Add chocolate chips and fold to combine.
- Divide batter between two 7 oz. ramekins. Top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Be careful not to over bake!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about five minutes before topping with whipped cream, ice cream, fruit, or nut butter! Enjoy!
- Don’t skip the apple cider vinegar and baking soda or the cake will not rise.
- The espresso powder is optional but I love the richness of the chocolate that it brings out!
- I prefer melted vegan butter but canola oil and coconut oil work well.