These Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies proved me wrong. I’ve avoided a lot of vegan baking because I thought, surely cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. would never taste the same without butter or eggs. Mostly butter. Well you don’t miss the butter or eggs in these at all. These cookies still achieve the perfect flavor and texture with the use of peanut butter for the fat component and a flax egg. They’ve convinced me that vegan baking can truly be just as delicious, so expect a lot more vegan baking on the horizon. They also happen to be (accidentally) gluten-free!
To make a flax egg, you just need 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix it well in a small bowl and allow to sit aside for 5-10 minutes. After it sits, it will appear a bit thicker, similar to an egg white consistency. Flax seed eggs make a great binding agent for baking items such as cookies. I’m excited to explore some of the other egg substitutes that Short Girl Tall Order dives into in this post.
The rest of the recipe comes together very quickly. You mix the dry ingredients (brown sugar and baking soda) in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another (peanut butter, flax egg, and non-dairy milk). Then combine them together to create a thick dough before folding in the rolled oats and vegan chocolate chips. The dough is a wetter consistency which yields a very soft, gooey cookie that is so divine.
Make these Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and I promise you won’t be able to stop making them. Since I created this recipe, I have found just about every excuse to make another batch and further explore the world of vegan baking!
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal CookiesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup peanut butter (natural drippy peanut butter works well)
1 flax egg: 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water
2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
¾ cup oatmeal (rolled oats work best)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Mix ground flaxseed with water and let sit for 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
- Combine brown sugar and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, flax egg, and non dairy milk and mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Scoop out ~1.5 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Repeat until all dough is used (makes about 18 cookies).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool.
- I like Enjoy Life vegan chocolate chips and they’re available at most super markets.
- I have made these with a variety of oatmeal and find the rolled oats work best but you can substitute for other types of oatmeal, the oatmeal will just have more of a chew once baked.
- Make sure your oatmeal is certified gluten-free if you’re following a gluten-free diet.
Leave a Reply